With the petrol price going up and up, fuel efficiency is the new fashion. Motorists are up in arms regarding the continuous increase of the fuel price. Fuel levy, VAT and RAF are being blamed but what can be done?
Since neither of the above mentioned reasons aren’t going to be disappearing any time soon, Carfin scoured the internet to find Fuel Saving Hacks!
While some ‘hacks’ are just crazy and seem to defy the object, these will hopefully give you more bang for your buck.
1. Ease up on the accelerator. This tip goes without saying, but it is important to remember. A general rule of thumb is the change gears when the RPM is between 2000 and 2500.
2. Track your kilometres. Seeing your fuel usage will not only help encourage your new habits but you can quickly spot when something might be going wrong, i.e. your car may need a service.
3. Pump up those tyres. Keeping your tyres pumped at the optimum PSI can really help keep your car efficient. Science! Remember to ask the attendant to check your tyre pressure regularly.
4. Slow down instead of hitting the brakes. Slowing down rapidly and speeding up fast is a real petrol-suck, literally. Try to keep a safe following distance in order to keep from drastic changes in speed.
5. Service your car regularly. Again, this goes without saying but it can be a real eye-opener once your car is serviced and you’re tracking your mileage.
6. Close the windows. This one has got to do with aerodynamics. Reducing drag and making your ride as smooth as possible can stretch your fuel for a few kilometres.
If all else fails, you might want to look into getting a more fuel efficient vehicle or even a bike (to whip through traffic!). Carfin is here to help with the financing.
Apply online here: https://carfin.co.za/apply-finance/ or contact one of our consultants for more information, here: https://carfin.co.za/contact-us/